Friday, August 17, 2007

Today we had an off site meeting. I discovered something real crazy about myself on the way there. I was stuck in traffic (it was horrible...12:45p.m. and there was traffic!!) and it was slow and go. I was doing fine, feeling a little pressure but not much. I was able to see way ahead of me and knew the jam was not going to stop for awhile. Well...it happened. Something that was profound to me (o.k. the world did not stop and i did not see stars or anything but it still was profound...to me) occurred. A huge semitruck changed lanes and landed up right in front of me!! AAAGGGHHH!! Wow, you talk about everything changing. I became irritated when i had to stop and go, i turned down my tunes, i started weaving to see if i could see what was going on in front of him (even though i knew seconds before we were in a stop and go situation), i became impatient and no longer felt in CONTROL!!! it was horrible. At the first opportunity I switched lanes. I immediately assessed the road in front of me (I know nothing had changed) and took a deep breath. Boom!!! Just like that everything was good. I could see what was ahead and I felt confident. Why??? I had to think about that and on my way home I discovered why. I need to feel in CONTROL! i need to see what is ahead of me. i need to be able to make a decision based on my view (do i get off at the next exit, switch lanes, call someone to say i am running late?). i do not function well when all i can see in front of me is a huge...nothing (in this case it was a silver door but you get what i am saying....right). Wow!!! i knew this about myself on some level and people are always telling me this but to actually live in the moment that reveals this to you is amazing! I am not a control freak (I gave that up years ago..hehehe) but i function better when i am in control of my situation/path (in this case it was the road to a destination...my meeting). *sigh* I like knowing this. This knowledge will help me in the future and to think i owe it all to a semitruck!!!!!

No comments: